In need of a good New Year’s Resolution? Well you’re in luck! Over the next ten weekdays we’ll be giving you a different way each day that you can help the TS movement. We hope that these ideas move and inspire you to contribute to the cause. Let’s make 2012 a year for the record books.
Action #7: Educate Yourself
I think everyone agrees with the saying ‘knowledge is power.’ If one wants to advise, advocate or educate to help the movement, it’s very important to have the right information yourself first. TS is a very poorly understood disorder to those outside the TS community, so it’s doubly important that we be ‘experts’ within the community, and that means taking the time to really learn about the disorder from trustworthy sources. You can do this by:
- Reading books (like Understanding TS: A Handbook for Families) and watching films about the disorder (like Sharing the Experience: Family Life with TS).
- Ordering and familiarizing yourself with our classic Q&A pamphlet
- Checking out the National Website for lots of information and archived articles
- Watching videos about TS on our YouTube channel
- Asking your local Chapter or Resource Unit if they have any resources that they can lend you (or if they don’t, help them build a resource library!)
- Looking out for exciting new additions to our Resource section coming this spring
- Attending the National Conference on TS Plus, perhaps the most useful information about TS you could possibly learn in a three-day period
Have another idea? Please let us know by leaving a comment below. Stay tuned for Action #8 tomorrow…